Monday, August 16, 2010

Balsamic Breakfast Tower

When we woke up this morning, we wanted to make breakfast at home, but none of our standard fall-back ideas seemed interesting enough or even worth the effort. I began rummaging through the fridge in search for produce that needed to be used as soon as possible. I found one large tomato, half of a white onion and a Zip-Lock bag full of fresh basil that I clipped from my parents beautiful vegetable garden when we were over at their house for dinner last night. I decided I was going to take a risk, and it was very probable that we would need to find something else to eat after my cooking endeavor turned out to be unsavory…

In a large skillet, I started to fry hash browns over medium-high heat. In a second smaller skillet, I added olive oil and added the white onion that I’d just sliced. After browning the onions, I removed them from the heat and set them aside. I then reduced the heat and added two thick slices of fresh tomato that I had just coated in olive oil, kosher salt and ground pepper. I let those cook. After the hash browns were cooked and browned on both sides, I removed them and added even amounts to two small, round dishes and pressed them firmly into the bottom of the dish in an attempt to make them into hash brown patties. I set them aside to let them cool. After reducing the heat in the larger skillet, I cracked and carefully place two eggs inside, making sure to keep both egg whites separate. 

I then flipped the small dishes containing hash brown over onto two separate plates. I added the grilled onions to the hash browns, and then the fresh basil on top of that. I then place a thick slice of tomato to each tower, poured a small amount of balsamic vinegar and olive oil over each and then finished off each tower with a sunny-side up egg.

See for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I fully expect that each dish you post on here is made for me immediately!

    ReplyDelete